How to Create a Search Engine: Custom for My Site
I spent hours trying to learn how to create a search engine for my site. There are a few things I knew I wanted. For starters I knew the search engine had to be custom for my website. I also knew that I wanted it on a separate page hosted on my personal site. Lastly I wanted hook it up with my Adsense account to potentially increase my earnings. After many frustrating hours I did it. That is why I must share with you a simple step by step guide on how to create a search engine that is custom for your site.
Things You Must Have Before Creating a CSE
Before you learn how to create a search engine you must have a few things.
- You must have a WordPress website.
- You must have articles on your website. (New site owners can wait to create a CSE)
- You must know how to create a page and add widget to your site.
- You must have an Adsense account. (If you don’t sign up for one free here)
How to Create a Search Engine: Step by Step Guide
- Add a new page to your website and name it search. (page not post)
- Change the page template to full or wide width with nothing on it. (Mine says page/post ads off)
- Publish page but don’t shut it down.
- Sign in to your Adsense account & click “My ads”.
- Click search > new custom search engine.
- Fill in the name. (I put Beyond Debt)
- Click only sites I select and put your website url (I put http://beyonddebt.net/)
- Add other url’s such as your youtube channel or podcast channel if you have one.
- Enter keywords with a comma separating keywords. (I put get out of debt, debt free, debt solution).
- Leave safe search checked. If it isn’t then check it.
- Enter country and language. (I put USA & English)
- Encoding stays the same.
- Transliteration leave blank.
- Custom channels, search box style & ad style are personal choices. Change them as you see fit.
- Go to search results and click the radio button that says “on my button using an iframe”.
- Now add the page url that you created earlier. (I put http://beyonddebt.net/search/)
- The width of results area can be left at 800 or changed if you like. (I changed mine to 1000)
- Click save and get code.
- Copy & paste the search results code and place it in the new page labelled search. (Make sure to switch you tabs from visual to text so your website reads the code).
- Then re-publish the search page.
- Go back to adsense and copy the other code that says “search box code”.
- Go back to your website and head over to your widgets panel.
- Add a text widget to your side panel, paste the code in the box and press save.
- Voila. Test our your know custom search engine.
You now know how to create a search engine customized to fit your site. The process is long but simple. Let me know your thoughts on how you did below.